C's Experiment 1.1 Atoms and Molecules
Experiment 1.1 Atoms and Molecules
Purpose
There are over one billion of these tiny chemical units on the head of a pin alone. Though individually they are invisible and appear worthless, atoms team up to make some amazing things. Everything consists of atoms; even humans.
Molecules, on the other hand, which consist of atoms, are larger than an atom but also are imperceptible. Though many people have attempted to prove the existence of atoms and molecules via scientific experiments, all that they have ended up with is a lot of indirect evidence of their existence. One such of these experiments is Experiment 1.1; the purpose of which indeed being to provide plenty of indirect proof for the existence of atoms and molecules.
Equipment
A small, clear glass
Baking soda
Tap water
A 9-volt battery
Two 9-inch pieces of insulated copper wire.
Scissors
Masking tape
A spoon for stirring
Safety glasses
Procedure
I filled the small glass ¾ full of tap water.
I added a teaspoon of baking soda and stirred vigorously for about twenty seconds
I used my scissors to strip a quarter inch of insulation off both ends of each wire.
I connected the end of one wire to the first terminal on the battery (which I named A). I secured it to the terminal with a piece of masking tape.
I then repeated step 4 with the other wire and the other battery terminal (B). ]
I immersed the wires in the baking soda/water solution in the small glass so that the bare ends of each wire were completely submerged.
I studied the scenario and recorded what I observed.
I allowed the experiment to run for 10 minutes. I then removed the wires and studied them.
I finally put everything away.
Data and Observations
When I immersed the wire ends in the water/baking soda mixture, bubbles came out of both A and B
A smoky substance also came out of wire A
Throughout the ten minutes of immersion I heard a constant fizzing sound
I was unable to smell anything
The battery felt warm in the area of the two terminals
After removing wire A, I observed green stuff on the end of it. Wire B looked the same
The water changed color to blue green
Conclusion
More than one hundred and sixteen types of atoms exist in creation, and scientists are constantly discovering more. Many of these atoms have been discovered through experiments similar to Experiment 1.1
Experiment 1.1 did indirectly prove the existence of atoms and molecules. Molecules consist of two types of atoms: hydrogen and oxygen. Linked together, these atoms create a molecule. For example, water consists of many molecules. By filling the glass, I filled it with these multiple water molecules. Electricity breaks down molecules into their separate hydrogen and oxygen particles, so by sending the electricity via the copper wire into the water and baking soda, the green blue substance that formed was actually a new molecule. This molecule is called hydroxycarbonate. It forms when copper atoms link to hydrogen, oxygen, and carbon atoms. Hydrogen and oxygen, of course, came from the water and baking soda, the copper atoms came from the copper wire, and the carbon from the baking soda alone.
The main purpose of this experiment, therefore, is to demonstrate how these various atoms, when broken down and then relinked, create a whole different molecule.
Bibliography
Great Source. ScienceSaurus. Wilmington, MA: Great Source Education Group, 2005.
McKeeman, Lori. Physical Science Week 1 Class notes. Course website. Sept. 2008-June 2009. Science Dept, The Potter’s School. 9 Sept 2008
Wile,Dr. Jay L. Exploring Creation With Physical Science. Anderson, IN: Apologia Educational Ministries, 2007
Wow you where very through. Great job!
ReplyDelete