Feelin like a fish in a fishbowl.
Not gonna lie this season has been rough.
(That was an understatement)
But in looking for backgrounds for my NEW, new computer, (A long story involving tea, insurance companies, hard drives, credit card bills, and sadness) I started researching a life long love of mine. FISH! Particularly the Carassius gibelio aka the Carassius auratus aka the common goldfish.
I owned a few in my formative years, and lets just say my dad nicknamed us (my sibs and I) the fish jihadists. We loved those poor suckers to death! No food, to too much food, NEVER cleaning the tank or changing the water, and rarely changing the filter. The poor fishes never stood a chance. RIP: red eye fish, neon tetras, guppies, betas, goldfish, cleaning sharks, x-ray fish, and many others who never lived long enough for me to remember.
I am a reformed woman now, more responsible than before and I still want a fish. But I feel bad keeping it trapped in a tiny little glass bowl; it just seems cruel. Also, since my life has been frequently paralleling the feelings of being trapped in a fishbowl, I will put my wants aside in favor of those of the fish and not purchase any. I will instead get a fishy screen saver and live vicariously through those who do have care of some.
But yal didnt come here to hear my complain about my life. You came here for interesting facts!
Did you know:
Before it's life in watery child riddled prison it used to live in, Goldfish actually had a home!! It's got a murky past. (oh, i crack myself up) It used to live in Eastern Asia and Europe depending on your school of thought. It has two possible ancestor lines the carp fam and the gibelio fam. And it lived in slow moving murky freshwater.
*insert meme of when you get the joke thirty minutes later but it isn't actually that funny*
China and Japan are the ones we have to thank for the gold fish's yellow-gold and orange scales. Originally (supposing the carp family line) the fish were silver, grey, whitish or partially olive toned. The Eastern Asian nations bred them for years until... "...Early in the Jin Dynasty, somewhere between the years 265 - 420, it was noted that there was a natural genetic mutation producing a yellowish orange color. It became common practice to breed this pretty golden fish for ornamental garden ponds."- InterwebWhich leads to my next fact.
"Originating in Asia (Siberia), goldfish are one of the first aquatic animals in recorded history to be kept as pets." - Interweb I have no idea how disputable that fact is for do I care to do further research (today 😏) lest it lead me down a long dark bunny trail of ancient pets.
Last but certainly not least...the WHOLE reason I wrote this post...was for this little tidbit of information:
Blog, meet the interweb:
http://animal-world.com/encyclo/fresh/goldfish/CommonGoldfish.php
http://animal-world.com/encyclo/fresh/goldfish/Goldfish.htm
http://animal-world.com/encyclo/fresh/cyprinids/cyprinids.htm
https://nas.er.usgs.gov/queries/factsheet.aspx?SpeciesID=508
(That was an understatement)
But in looking for backgrounds for my NEW, new computer, (A long story involving tea, insurance companies, hard drives, credit card bills, and sadness) I started researching a life long love of mine. FISH! Particularly the Carassius gibelio aka the Carassius auratus aka the common goldfish.
I owned a few in my formative years, and lets just say my dad nicknamed us (my sibs and I) the fish jihadists. We loved those poor suckers to death! No food, to too much food, NEVER cleaning the tank or changing the water, and rarely changing the filter. The poor fishes never stood a chance. RIP: red eye fish, neon tetras, guppies, betas, goldfish, cleaning sharks, x-ray fish, and many others who never lived long enough for me to remember.
I am a reformed woman now, more responsible than before and I still want a fish. But I feel bad keeping it trapped in a tiny little glass bowl; it just seems cruel. Also, since my life has been frequently paralleling the feelings of being trapped in a fishbowl, I will put my wants aside in favor of those of the fish and not purchase any. I will instead get a fishy screen saver and live vicariously through those who do have care of some.
But yal didnt come here to hear my complain about my life. You came here for interesting facts!
![]() |
| *not a common goldfish |
Before it's life in watery child riddled prison it used to live in, Goldfish actually had a home!! It's got a murky past. (oh, i crack myself up) It used to live in Eastern Asia and Europe depending on your school of thought. It has two possible ancestor lines the carp fam and the gibelio fam. And it lived in slow moving murky freshwater.
*insert meme of when you get the joke thirty minutes later but it isn't actually that funny*
China and Japan are the ones we have to thank for the gold fish's yellow-gold and orange scales. Originally (supposing the carp family line) the fish were silver, grey, whitish or partially olive toned. The Eastern Asian nations bred them for years until... "...Early in the Jin Dynasty, somewhere between the years 265 - 420, it was noted that there was a natural genetic mutation producing a yellowish orange color. It became common practice to breed this pretty golden fish for ornamental garden ponds."- InterwebWhich leads to my next fact.
"Originating in Asia (Siberia), goldfish are one of the first aquatic animals in recorded history to be kept as pets." - Interweb I have no idea how disputable that fact is for do I care to do further research (today 😏) lest it lead me down a long dark bunny trail of ancient pets.
Last but certainly not least...the WHOLE reason I wrote this post...was for this little tidbit of information:
Goldfish do not have stomachs!
What?!? But when you think about it it makes sense. Gold fish (omnivores btw) will eat just about anything you stick in front of them whether or not they need to eat. The food passes right through them into feces which is why when you have a goldfish it is SUPER important to have a good filtration system of to change the water bowl as often as directed for your tank size. That is also why you have to feed them regularly rather than not at all, then all at once. *clears throat*
Nevertheless, I can't be too hard on my 9yo self. I read all the books on fish I could possibly carry from my local library. I am doing the "don't" and blaming it on my childhood diagnosed ADHD. (Does it relate? Not really. Do I care? Not one bit!)
Anywho I am calling it a day!
*insert super cliche motivational poster of a directionaly challenged fish "inspiring change"*
Until next next time,
Nikki
Nevertheless, I can't be too hard on my 9yo self. I read all the books on fish I could possibly carry from my local library. I am doing the "don't" and blaming it on my childhood diagnosed ADHD. (Does it relate? Not really. Do I care? Not one bit!)
Anywho I am calling it a day!
*insert super cliche motivational poster of a directionaly challenged fish "inspiring change"*
Until next next time,
Nikki
Blog, meet the interweb:
http://animal-world.com/encyclo/fresh/goldfish/CommonGoldfish.php
http://animal-world.com/encyclo/fresh/goldfish/Goldfish.htm
http://animal-world.com/encyclo/fresh/cyprinids/cyprinids.htm
https://nas.er.usgs.gov/queries/factsheet.aspx?SpeciesID=508

Comments
Post a Comment